Imbuko Family Vintners

I recently came across Imbuko Wines when I was searching on Google for Du Plevaux Pinotage. I was totally unfamiliar with the brand and w...



I recently came across Imbuko Wines when I was searching on Google for Du Plevaux Pinotage. I was totally unfamiliar with the brand and wanted to find out more about its origin. The wine made a big impression on me when I paired it with a mild curry dish and it complimented the food perfectly.

It was given to me as a gift on my last birthday by a friend, but he never disclosed any details where he got it from. As I went through my wine collection to look for something that will go with spicy food, the wine gods spurred me on to choose the Du Pleavaux Pinotage.

So, as I was browsing through the Imbuko website, something caught my attention: Gourment Pie & Wine Tasting. Now, I was never able too resist a good pie and if its paired with good wine, you have me hooked. My mind was made up to go and visit them at the first available moment.

Imbuko Wines is situated on the farm Uitkyk, near Wellington in the heart of the Boland Winelands. (I found them on Google-Maps, HERE.)

There is an impressive tasting room with a fireplace, but on the afternoon that I visited it was rather hot, so I opted to sit outside on the spacious balcony with its comfortable lounge furniture overlooking the vineyards, olive orchards and Hawequas Mountains.

While I was waiting for the pies to be prepared I was offered a glass of Du Plevaux Shiraz. This was my second encounter with a wine from this range and once again it did not disappoint. It had everything I look for in a shiraz; ripe berry flavours, that distinct spicy, peppery character and a smooth finish.

Soon my Pie and Wine Pairing was served. It consisted of four mini pies, Cape Malay Chicken Curry, Lamb Curry, Slow-Roasted Venison and Biltong, each one perfectly paired with a wine from the Van Zijl Family Vintners Range. This is something different than the usual chocolate and wine pairings that you get at most of the Cellar Doors now days. I savored every bite and sip and made it last as long as I could. They also have an Arancini pairing and have picnic platters and snacks that can be enjoyed next to the to the fire place in winter or on the grass seating area in summer.

Imbuko has a large variety of wines in their portfolio at very reasonable prices as well as some interesting spritzers which I want to try out when I visit again.

For more information on Imbuko Wines and details about visiting them please visit www.imbuko.co.za.

Imbuko, means “Admiration for…..” in Xhosa, which is one of South Africa’s eleven official languages.

The view of the Hawequas Mountains from Imbuko Wines.
The Tasting Room at Imbuko Wines has a large balcony where you can relax and enjoy what they have to offer.



The Gourmet Pie and Wine Pairing

You Might Also Like

0 comments